Monday, March 05, 2007

Kris Aquino....Yet Again?

Oh no! Not again. All this brouhaha about the domestic woes of Kris Aquino has shown me once again that most Filipinos would rather focus on melodrama than put their energies on something more pro-active.
I can't say I truly blame my fellow countrymen/women for doing so. I can understand the need to escape from the horrid day to day existence most Filipinos are subjected to. This escapism comes in the form of feasting on the life of a very well-known personality, who in this case is the infamous Kris Aquino. And if it points to all is not well for this personality, so much the better, I guess. I have a strong suspicion that despite her many fans, a lot would like to see the downfall of this gorgeous lass. Filipinos are famous for having crab mentality and tend to be envious and unhappy about the success of other Pinoys, it seems to me.
Now, I am not defending Kris Aquino. Though she is both bright and beautiful (not to mention, successful), she is also tactless, full of herself and bratty. She is definitely a newsmaker and people can't seem to get enough of her. She seems unable to keep her mouth shut about her life and has to give people a glimpse of it directly or indirectly every time she opens her mouth. This poor lass can't help being an exhibitionist and seems to revel in the constant attention of the media. I thought that after the Joey Marquez fiasco, her bowing out from the public eye was going to be permanent. I was wrong. She just couldn't stand not being the center of attention.
Well, she is a somebody and she knows it. Being the daughter of a former president and a national hero is enough to gain the spotlight. It also helps that she is also extraordinarily beautiful and gregarious. I remember the first time I saw her on TV after the assassination of her father. She was so smart-looking with her glasses on. She was also well-spoken and did not use the singsong twang she is famous for today. I thought she would follow in the footsteps of her dad and try to do something worthwhile to change the Philippines for the better. Again, I was wrong. It is such a pity since Kris Aquino would have been such a great politician had she chosen politics and not showbiz.
Because of her choice, the besotted public had been fed a series of scandals that must have given Cory Aquino nightmares. The first controversy was getting pregnant with Phillip Salvador's child. As everyone knew then, Phillip was a married man who was with his mistress when he got involved with Kris. After Kris left Phillip, she had an affair with yet another married man, Joey Marquez. The country was rocked when she revealed on national TV how she was physically abused by Joey and how he had given her STD. Yikes, I still cringe from this memory! As of this writing, Kris is in another fix. She is trying to save a marriage that has been shattered by a supposedly affair of her husband James Yap with a receptionist. If you ask me, this latest controversy is not so shocking as her former affairs but the public is lapping it up. Well, what goes around comes around eventually, my dear Kris. And, it seems to me that you are psychologically attracted to philanderers.
I really wish Kris would retire from showbiz and do something more worthy of her lineage. She doesn't really need the money showbiz is throwing her way. She has enough product endorsements. She has Hacienda Luisita. She has more than enough.
I am sick and tired of her tumultuous love relationships and lavish lifestyle. Why can't she just use her popularity to make life better in the Philippines? As I said before she has the makings of a politician. Being one like her father can still provide her the limelight she craves so much and at the same time provide her the power to transform the entire country and not just a few lives through her game show.
It such a pity indeed since Kris shows no signs of going beyond herself. Her life is such a soap opera. Mark my words, this is not the end of her troubled life. There is more to come and the public will feast on her next issue or controversy yet again. Good grief!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, people can't get enough of her.

The law of supply and demand comes to play here.

Sayang si Kris. I also liked her when I first saw her on TV in 1983.

Anonymous said...

Good grief. I do not know what this means. ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Myepinoy: Good grief = "Hay naku!" or "Diyos ko!" (rough translation)